Thread: Yellow Creek at Park Lane Ranch in Tottenham

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt p2c3d2's Avatar

Question Yellow Creek at Park Lane Ranch in Tottenham

Hi. Has anyone ever heard of this stallion? I've been advised that he's a good deal, and his credentials/lineage certainly look impressive. Any feedback?
    p2c3d2
    I go about looking at horses and cattle. They eat grass, make love, work when they have to, bear their young. I am sick with envy of them. Sherwood Anderson

Seduced By The Power Christmas_Carol's Avatar
    I've seen pics I love of him, met quite a few offspring (unfortunately, indiscriminately bred - so it seems), love his pedigree and pics.
    However, I think he suffered more from over exposure and lack of standard to whom he was bred, resulting in a LOT of foals out there! Many who've done nothing at all.
    Sad, but it is what it is. If you're close enough (I think you are) you should go see him in person.
    If anyone knows anything detrimental beyond what I've labelled the poor guy, I hope they can let you in on the mystery of why he never really seemed to "take off" as a sire.
    “Abstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.” Chivalry isn't dead. It just followed wherever lady-like went
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (if you would have peace, prepare for war.) Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

I've seen him at The Royal and once eventing (but I'm at a loss as to where that was old age). I like him a lot. Very elegant boy and he's got one heck of a nice jump. I don't know anything about his temperament but as a stud with a respectable performance record ...he's very nice.

CC... just read your post. My impression was that another stallion was promoted a lot more strenuously and YC was not and was shuffled to the side. I may be wrong but that's the impression I got. It was more a lack of marketing.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur

Feel The Fear & Do It Anyway catherines's Avatar
    He is a lovely boy . Good conformation and a really nice temprament. Unfortunatly when they first acquired him they bred him to pretty much anything with a uteris . He did however throw is temprament and his lovely head to most of his offspring . I`ve seen quite a few of his babies . I believe the daughter evented with him with some succcess . Park Lane owned by Sandy Zelmer is in Tottenham. I think CC is correct though in her estimation of this they under valued him by indiscriminate breeding to indifferent mares . I was not aware that they ever stood another stallion . If they did they did not market him locally the only stally I`ve ever seen promoted locally by them is Yellow Creek .

Seduced By The Power cressiegirl's Avatar
    I had a friend who was considering breeding a mare to him. While we were looking at potential stallions, I was really turned off by his website, to be honest. It's not very professional-looking and it's out of date, making me wonder what the owners would be like to deal with.

catherines ...if you're talking about the 'other stallion' comment I made, I meant a stallion owned by someone else that competed in many of the same classes ...not another stallion with the same owners. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. If you weren't, just ignore me.

I did think you meant another stallion owned by the same people SE thanks for clarifying .

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt
    I had a filly by him.... very pretty, dumb as a stump. However, I think that was her....not what he typically threw. I think he is a lovely stallion and was very athletic.

Thanks for clarifying SE, I too, was baffled for a bit.
    I can't say I've come across, IRL or by rumour, the 'dumb' bit, only that there were a lot on the ground that had done nothing. Given his "start" in showing, it's a shame it wasn't kept up. Nice horse, would have benefitted by a more extensive show record, and his progeny having some to bolster Dad's.
    If you like him in person, use him! Maybe YOUR foals will be the ones that boost his image! Guessing he's getting a little old to be doing much for competition himself now.
    “Abstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.” Chivalry isn't dead. It just followed wherever lady-like went
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (if you would have peace, prepare for war.) Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

I have met him IRL CC and he is indeed a lovely boy and well worth considering as a sire . He stamped his foals with his pretty head and the ones I did meet had is nice temperament . It would indeed have been nice to have seen him showcased and shown better he was and is IMO worth the effort . IMO with himself bred to a good mare the resulting progeny in the right hands could really do things . I had not heard anything about him for quite a few years I assumed that they had probably sold him on , I`m actually very surprised that they do still have him .

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt
    I only had just the one, so it is by no means an accurate theme She was just, well, not bright. I can't say I know of any older ones.... but daddy is indeed a nice guy and it would have been most excellent to see his show career continue.

I only know that when he came on the scene, he seemed to be well set with a bit of a track record, beginning some eventing (with some DIVINE photos to help!) and then ..... just nothing.
    I really hope he CAN make some decent progress with more (recent?) exposure and advertising.
    Either way, his pedigree is nothing to snort at either. He SHOULD be able to pass along a lot of potential.
    How many 16.3 TB stallions are actually standing in Ontario anyways? And at least HE's been through the ring and judged on his conformation!

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt prospect's Avatar
    breeding is an expensive and time consuming proposition. even with a proven stallion there are still risks that the foal will not be what you want. That being said, I have breed to some really nice stallions and have had both good and bad results for lots of reasons. yet bred my 5 yr old and have two awesome youngsters - so much so that I wish I had frozen semen.

But it depends on what and who you are breeding for - you have to take all your goals, costs and also the mare into consideration.
    CHECK OUT OUR NEW HAY FEEDERS www.prospectequinefarms.com

I have two Yellow Creek babies, both out of draft cross mares. They are athletic, good movers - probably not going to the Olympics but the older one has packed me over 4' with room to
    spare. They both have good temperaments and are sensible. I did find them both a bit slow maturing mentally - they seemed to need an extra year. Sandy has always been good for me to deal with, have dealt with her on again off again for years.

I like him a lot. I saw him 'in the flesh' at the Royal Winter Fair when he showed in the same classes (CSHA Stallion and TB Stallion) as A Fine Romance.
    He is a big,handsome athletic individual,with a good TB sporthorse pedigree, with no ND or MrP.

re the website. A word of caution: a poor website may not promote the horse adequately but it is not a reflection on his quality just as a fancy website, with a lot of pretty pictures, does not make the horses they promote better.

Yellow Creek is getting older though (23?) so if you are thinking of breeding to him, I wouldn't wait.

I have a YC offspring that I bred myself. He is 10 this year, and I couldn't love him more.

Solid, quiet, BRAVE - a gentleman to be around. I get non stop compliments on this guy.

I bred him to my mare, a Clyde/Hackney.

He LOVES to jump, and I have schooled him 3'9 with ease. His first season showing Trillium we were thrid overall in our zone and he was a star at the championships. Can't say enough good things about him.

I have pics I would attach, but can't figure out how to do it. Ugh.

Well we want pics .... you can post them right from you computer by clicking 3 over from the smilie face (when you mouse over it, it says Image) A box will open ' click Select File, pick your pic files and upload them. They post a thumbnail that people have to click to see full size. I did it that way to try and keep the file/picture sizes down for people on slow, country connections.

Or (if you promise to size it down to a reasonable size like 450 x 450 pixels ) host the pic somewhere - image shack, tiny pics, etc .... lots of free pic hosting around) and put the [] type brackets around img and then at the end /img . So it would look like [ img ] http:// where it is hosted . com / horse pic.jpg [ /img ] without the spaces that I uses just for demonstration purposes.

Clear as mud?

Ok, I'm going to try and post pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images

i hate computers...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooooh!
    Now THAT's pretty! Shame they don't have copies on YC's website. That's a baby that'd do him some justice! Congrats, he's lovely.

Thank you christmas carol it means a lot to me since i bred this guy and raised him since birth....i have been meaning to send some pics to Sandy but in the past 10 years it hasn't happened yet lol. Yes, their website is very outdated and horribly put together. I think their old website might have some more pics of YC himself.

a word of caution - my mare is about 16.2 on a good day and my gelding is 17.1. He's a big, black boy. He just kept growing and growing...

I just love him to bits. Like I said he is so brave to fences and jumps anything, even when he was a greenie. good head on his shoulders and nothing seems to really phase him.

He has knee/hock action but that comes from his dam, so he isn't a specatular mover. doesn't matter to me though, as long as he can jump!

I do have a confirmation shot of him lying around here somewhere....I just have to find it.

Very handsome, Southwinds!