Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: NEW Off Topic Thread

Blog Entries
    I thought I heard killdeer last Wednesday when I was out changing blankets, but wasn't certain and didn't have time to look for them. I saw four yesterday! I've also seen several Red Winged Blackbirds and heard their distinctive chrrr call.

Spring must be here!
    Chestnuts now has a Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/CustomChestnuts

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt 1horse2many's Avatar
    SE, we are just off the hwy beyond the service road!

4x, you are way behind. Had my FOY Killdeer in February .
    RWBL have been about for a long time, but it's not OFFICIALLY spring until you see a female (of which I saw my first yesterday).

So yes, it is now officially spring.
    Also had FOY GC Kinglet & Tree Swallow yesterday. (But I am actively looking/listening for any new birds at all times~ always have the windows cracked in the car)!

I wonder if the birds arrive in Ottawa quite a bit later than here in SOntario? It seems that way, but we're only 3 or 4 hours apart, really!

Blog Entries
    Yes, we are quite a bit behind you. 4-5 hours isn't much, but we don't have Lake Ontario moderating our climate. The marsh/stream near the boys' barn only just had the ice clear from the stream/deep water this past weekend. The reeds are still ice bound. Kingston is only two hours away and I can see the season changing as I drive to Wilton Tack (and then change back as I drive home).

I saw my first Turkey Vulture yesterday when Brat and I were out for a hack.

I officially can't handle the muck and slop anymore . This place is destroyed between us not having an actual freezing of the ground for more than 10 minutes and me not being able to lead horses into specific fields (suctioning a person that can't walk into the clay soil is not a good idea) .....they've wrecked everything. I've run out of my hay round in the feeder and the ground is slop so no tractors to put them out. Not just soft but quagmire. I've never seen it this bad. I'm running low on small squares so I'll be starving them soon.

And then we have 28 little muddy paws coming into the house (thank goodness one cat doesn't go out so the number is under 30) . The Aussie really doesn't want to walk through the kitty litter container full of water (to rinse off her paws) and I get to fight 50lbs of dog a few times a day. Thank goodness for the fact that the rats have no choice and can be dipped against their will. lol I am so sick of mopping floors - it looks like hell anyway.

Argh!!!!!!!!! I want it to dry!

*sigh* Glad I got that out. So how was your day?
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur

Well, we had an eventful (and sleepless) weekend. Chevy had colic symptoms on Friday night, to which we gave him banamine and hand walked for 2 hours straight and then just sat with him while he was loose in the arena for 2 hours beyond that. He pooped and seemed to relax by around 10:30/11pm so I figured he was in the clear. I told my barn peeps to keep an eye on him the next morning just in case.

Well lo and behold, the very next morning I get a call that he is pawing aggressively (same as day before) and rolling. I have never made it to the barn so quickly! We gave him banamine, walked him for a few hours and of course again he pooped. But it was not enough poop for me to be convinced. So I called the vet out. She confirmed that he did indeed have an impaction and proceeded to tube him () and fill him full of water/oil.

As soon as he insisted on walking I took him into the ring to walk again. We walked and walked and walked. Finally, after 2 hours he pooped. And then the toots came! And boy did he toot! After that, 3 more poops (one of which I could tell was likely the impaction). As soon as the poops started to look moist/loose, I knew we were in the clear! On Sunday morning, his poor bum was a mineral oil mess! It sure did make his tail shine though

I was so scared because I have opted to not put any of my horses through colic surgery, and the thought of losing my boy was looming in the back of my mind. Luckily he is a fighter. I will be soaking his grain to soup-consistency for a while now and cutting it by half. I will also be adding salt and sunflower oil. I know right now he has a sore throat because the tubing didn't go smoothly. I can see him almost wince when he eats a carrot. I don't know when to start riding him again, I don't want to hurt him. I have just been letting him play in the arena and brushing him to sparkling status. He may actually be getting used to me preening him, I'm not saying he enjoys it but he is starting to tolerate it more.

2017 has started off with a bang for me, that's for sure...

Seduced By The Power Christmas_Carol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Effects View Post
    I'm running low on small squares so I'll be starving them soon.

*sigh* Glad I got that out. So how was your day?
    not terribly cost efficient, but cubed hay (whatever your preference) soaked well and beep if necessary to add more bulk and fibre. Anything you *can* do is better than nothing. seriously, start looking to "waste" foods and see what might be subbed in where. One year I got an arrangement with a local grocery store who very thoughtfully would provide an empty (tall) carton, lined with a clear garbage bag, for customers to shuck those ears before they bought them. They PAID me to take them away! Not much, but more than covered the cost of gas (which alone was a benefit) and do horses LOVE still soft and green corn husks!
    Not saying that's a solution for you, but just "think outside the box!"
    ďAbstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.ĒA wise person hears both sides of any story before deciding on truth. your life is not something thatís happening to you. You have created a path for whatever reason ó just be with it. Whatever happens you, itís really all about how you handle it. **Pocket Trainer!** **RELIEF!! at last! FIXmestick!!

Oh 1horse... poor Chevy. I'm glad he's ok and semi sort of enjoying the preening.

CC ... I can get some older hay f needed. It's been stored properly - just older.

Seduced By The Power Christmas_Carol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Effects View Post
    Oh 1horse... poor Chevy. I'm glad he's ok and semi sort of enjoying the preening.

CC ... I can get some older hay f needed. It's been stored properly - just older.
    Sounds perfect. Provides the chew factor, fibre and such to keep things moving and still healthy, but without the added calories. AND the nutrients may be depleted just enough to offset the concentration in some of the other suggestions. Both Beep and Cubes tend to be very high in calcium. Me, I usually added a small handful (or half a large one, depends on your hands) of 'salt' or, another option, so long as they won't be showing (it'll test) is to add a little less than the salt suggestion, of baking soda (which can be found in larger and cheaper quantities at any feed mill, just start off slow, REAL slow - if too much too soon, it'll put them off their feed and/or give the squirts. Very smelly squirts!) to their mush.
    Encouraged drinking LOTS of water to help those kidneys deal with the nutrient load.
    ďAbstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.ĒA wise person hears both sides of any story before deciding on truth. your life is not something thatís happening to you. You have created a path for whatever reason ó just be with it. Whatever happens you, itís really all about how you handle it. **Pocket Trainer!** **RELIEF!! at last! FIXmestick!!

Blog Entries
    Glad Chevy's okay, 1horse!

We had 20mm of rain on Tuesday here, and are getting another 40-50mm today through tomorrow. I don't know where it's going to go as the ditches are about full from Tuesday... Even with the indoor I don't really want to deal with wet, muddy blankets in order to ride. Especially with better weather coming.

The paddock my two are in isn't too bad, apart from the giant puddle which has nowhere to drain to. I found the one bit of sucking mud yesterday and almost lost a boot to it. Rory was standing at the edge of the giant puddle yesterday, eyeing the water trough but not wanting to go through the puddle...

There is something very wrong when I'm cold and wet, sore and tired while 'they' are dry, get room service and treats (carrots) for doing nothing more then eating and pooping.

Definitely something very wrong.

Blog Entries
    You deserve all of that too, SE! Even if you have to do it for yourself. I hope you got some sun this weekend too. We had a lovely day here.

Brat and I went for an hour and a half hack around the Beckwith trails, and I discovered that I wasn't even close in guessing where the winter barn trails connected to the public ones. Waaaaay off.

Then I rode Rory for about half an hour. Sadly I saw my first male Ruby Throated Hummingbird of the year today. He had gotten himself into the arena and couldn't find his way out before his body ran out of energy. I found him when I was moving poles out of the corner for Rory's use.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 22C!

I had some fencing down so had to hold and hammer 15' oak boards (by my self). Those buggers are heavy! The place is drenched so it was a very muddy job. It's supposed to be windy tomorrow, so hopefully between that and the heat, it will dry up.

Then I planted 288 seed containers. I have to do the tree and bush ones tomorrow.

And my horses are an embarrassment.

Did I want spring and summer?

1horse.... is Chevy still ok?

Noooooo 4x that is so tragic! Poor little darling

SE, the Chevster is doing well. I think he pulled a muscle in his neck when he was tubed as he is shaking it in a weird way sometimes. I rode him in the giant outdoor today and had a great ride. Minus the time his pasture buddies bolted (on purpose!) from the back corner of the field right as we were rounding the corner. I was walking him on the buckle when suddenly it was like he jumped out of a starting gate! He covered the entire arena in about 5 strides. I barely stopped him in time in a one-rein stop attempt (may I remind you my bit is the softest rubber bit in the world). I was super impressed that he stopped and we proceeded to have an amazing ride even after the bolt. He loves to stretch his legs in the big ring!

I'm so glad. And you must be so so happy (and relieved) to be riding him again!

Blog Entries
    Nice, 1horse! Rory got outside yesterday too, and he did NOT bolt despite noisy traffic and a plastic bag caught in a tree/bush beside the ring (it was very windy, and the bag was making noise - he twitched once). It was really hot so we were glad of the wind.

Yesterday I spotted a gull flying low over the ditch on the side of the road in a manner I thought odd for a gull. Ring bill, I thought. First year, I thought as I spotted the dark back and upper wings. Then a split second later I thought That's no gull! It was a male Northern Harrier!

At the barn I heard and later saw a Phoebe too! It was really warm yesterday (22C).

Blog Entries
    Swallows yesterday! A barn swallow and a tree swallow!

And the boys' maple leaves are starting to flip light ro dark as the summer coat begins to shine through the clipped areas.

Same here 4X, they have started to appear. We have at least 2 pairs at the moment. Hopefully we get a full barn - maybe 12 pairs.
    A Loud Rider Makes A Deaf Horse

Oh no, I hope ours are coming back! I haven't seen any in/near the barn yet

I did see two chasing one another 2 weeks back, but they didn't stay, just flew through the courtyard.

ETA: 4x you are so lucky! I am super jealous! A grey ghost! I could swear I saw one the other day, and I even pulled over with my binos to have a look but he must have just landed on a meal and the winds were SO cold. I gave up. I hope to see him again!

Blog Entries
    Spotted a female Red Winged Blackbird yesterday! And a Fox Sparrow!

Nothing today. Brat has something weird going on with his hind legs. They're swollen over the tendons from the hock to three quarters of the way down to the fetlocks. He was taking the left hind leg away from me when I palpated it at the bottom of the swollen area, and flinching when I checked higher up. The right was less swollen and not reactive, but it had been wrapped with BoT no bow. He's uneven behind when he jogs, but it could be his SI out again. He still told me he didn't want the blanket when I brought it over before turning him back out.

Blog Entries
    Ruby Crowned Kinglets today! Those little ones are tough to photograph! They were flitting about in the branches about 20' overhead, but I got enough for an ID!

I had a male Yellow Bellied Sapsucker drop down and pose for me, very close. Got some nice pics of him!

A male Downy Woodpecker got very bold as well. They hang around all winter so he's not really a FOY, but he is worth mentioning.

4x I love that you're a birder too I never seen any other birders/riders!

Here are some pics from my Long Point adventure this past weekend. We Air BnB'd for a night, birded 1.5 days! We gathered a total of 60 species. Highlights being the Blue-headed Vireo, Sandhill Crane, Tufted Titmouse and Fox Sparrow (of which I did get a picture, through a million sticks and dogwood... one day I will get a stickless photo of one )

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker by Dawn Johnson, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwing by Dawn Johnson, on Flickr

Blue-headed Vireo by Dawn Johnson, on Flickr

Sandhill Crane by Dawn Johnson, on Flickr

Post your pics 4x!!!

Blog Entries
    I had an exciting day today! It was supposed to be Rory's first show of the year, but that got postponed to Victoria Day due to the excessive rain we'd received, and the additional 50-60mm in the forecast. I had planned to go from our winter barn to the show, then back to the summer barn afterwards. We stayed the extra week at our winter barn based on the premise that moving a week before a show was asking for an injury.

Anyway, with all the rain I was concerned that my shipper would have trouble turning the large trailer around without gouging holes in the fields or getting stuck at our summer barn. I cancelled the trailer. With great daring and some trepidation I decided to ride Rory back to the summer barn.

I did that today. Just me and Rory bravely venturing out onto the trails and roads on a roughly 12km route.

He was FABULOUS!!!

He had two little spooks, one of which was hardly worth calling a spook. The first was when two ducks took off from one of the small lakes in the woods, and the second was (I think) due to a black bird (Brewer's maybe) bird bath splashing into a small lake in the field across the road. He looked suspiciously at almost everything from the barking great Dane, to the field full of fancy rocks (cemetery), to the super mailbox, to the water rushing under the bridges and through culverts. I hand walked the two sections of busy roads, and hopped off when he was reluctant to go across the bridge over high, rushing water, but otherwise I rode all the way.

It took about two and a half hours. Most of it was walk, but we probably trotted for about a third of the distance. We got drizzled and showered on, but not enough to get us truly wet. He was getting tired by the end, more brain tired than body tired. He was happy to tuck in beside me on the last handwalk up the road to the barn and let me be the lookout for danger.

Halfway up the driveway he whinnied and got some answering whinnies from behind the barn. He found the energy to try and trot, which I quickly nixed.

I am so proud of him, and I am thrilled with how far he's come.

Brat moves tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    And I saw four birds of prey, two (Yellow Rumped) Warblers, Turkey vultures (close and low enough to make Rory look), as well as the usual Killdeer, Red Winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, Brewer's Blackbirds, Crows and Robins.

The scary ducks were Mallards.

I'm pretty sure I saw an Eastern Meadowlark on my drive out to the barn.

No pics. Riding Rory on that route, riding solo, and riding that far were sufficient enough accomplishment for today. Camera handling on such an adventure can wait for another day.

4x I wont even bring my secondary camera aboard Chevy for fear it wont make it back in one piece!

I do not have a Brewer's Blackbird on my life list yet!
    I can't believe you did 12k alone, you are so brave! I don't think I could do it. Mallards taking off would give me a heart attack anticipating my horse's reaction.
    You're a real trooper!

Good for you 4X; that's a good distance for a trail ride.
    A Loud Rider Makes A Deaf Horse