Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: NEW Off Topic Thread

Blog Entries
    Today I woke up and looked out the window and saw snow falling. Around nine the sun was peeking through the clouds and I packed up my stuff and headed out. It wasn't too bad. Windy but not freezing, snowy but not accumulating.

Then I drove into a near whiteout. And out of it again.

I decided to move Brat though I did consider waiting. We did the trip in an hour and forty minutes. He was good but he was getting tired by the end. Rory was happy to see him, but Brat was unconcerned - he'd seen Rory yesterday after all.

The snow was off and on, and naturally turned on very strongly as we were coming up the last stretch, straight into the wind.

I don't think Brat is happy to be back. He struck me as happier at the other barn. Maybe just more relaxed. I don't know. I will be watching him closely though, and thinking about how we might be able to make the other place work year round. Or finding a third option.
    Chestnuts now has a Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/CustomChestnuts

I'm going to take a break from the gardening

Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur

Blog Entries

I'm going to a show with Rory on Monday. The one postponed from a couple of weeks ago. Today is prep day.

Wishing you the best of luck and make sure you have fun! Now I'm off to your facebook page.
    A Loud Rider Makes A Deaf Horse

Have a great show 4X!

Blog Entries
    Well that was a complete waste of effort. Rory forgot to bring his brain with him. He got loose twice and bolted off to see the school horses. I managed to get him settled with a longeing session, but he was screaming again within a minute after we stopped. I didn't even get him tacked up, just his bridle over his halter for longeing. I called it at that point, and scratched. Usually if I can get him to settle he's fine, but today he just kept winding himself back up. Someone was going to get hurt if I kept trying.

To top it off, after spending fifteen minutes loading him (several times before he would settle once inside and not go back out again) we managed to do the theoretically impossible and lock the truck with the fob inside.

Obviously my first mistake was getting out of bed this morning.

I've had days like that too; I'm sure glad they don't appear very often. However, I have had quite a few days where I've left my brain at home. Does that count?

Can you write it off as a learning experience all the way around? Or a time when wine truly proves it's worth.
    Sorry it was a wash.

Blog Entries
    I can think of a half dozen things I could have done differently, but I'm not convinced any of them would have altered the outcome. And of course he was very good yesterday. And again today... despite the BO lighting the burn pile... and the wind changing direction to blow the smoke towards the sand ring... and the BO taking the chainsaw to a fallen tree in the grass ring...

:sigh:

One good thing, I was looking at the entry for the show on June 3rd and discovered that barn (which is one concession over, very much walking distance) is running monthly schooling/training things. They have a few official classes, but you can also book some time in the show ring to do whatever you like! So I think I will take Rory over just to get him off the property and in the mindset of behaving himself when we go places. We can go over, warm up and then run through two or three tests in our 15 min timeslot. I think I will enter the show on the third as well, just to see how he does. Though since we will be walking over, if he's a right putz again we won't even get off home property.

It's just spring 4x. At least that would be my excuse......Aragon has been without mind for the entire month of May......hot, cold, rain, bugs like hell.
    Ok you bird people: my first year with no dog or cat ever on the property means that a lot of birds have become very fearless. Indigo buntings, Scarlett tanagers, cardinals, all of the woodpecker types, chickadees, chipping sparrow , nut hatches (the last three eat out of our hands so not a fear prob there) and gold finches and bluejays are at the feeder very close to the house. HUmmingbirds arrived a few weeks ago and they are abundant too. Anyways, about a week ago I noticed a male rose breasted grosbeak under the feeder and in a shrub nearby. It took me until the next day to notice that he can't fly. He seems to have an injured wing at the shoulder, and my daughter thinks he may have flown into her
    window.
    In any case he is surviving by hopping around my yard from under the feeder to eat scraps and up into various trees and shrubs. He has a mate and she shows up regularly and eats a bit and shakes her tail feathers and he hops on lol. She appears to have built a nest in a shrub in front of the house that he can get into, but no eggs yet.
    So im not sure what to do. If Mystique was still with us he would have been cat snack immediately. There are wild toms and raccoons around. He fell into the window well a few days ago and fought like hell and bit my daughter trying to rescue him. I tried to check him out but he escaped the towel. I can't put food closer to him as the chipmunks get it or it will attract raccoons and he can't get up into the feeder.
    his wing isn't hanging, just looks like it's lost some feathers at the shoulder, but he can't fly. I thought maybe he was moulting, but that would be dumb in breeding season.
    What do you think? Should I catch him and take him to a vet or cross my fingers that he heals and nothing gets him as he is seemingly surviving, and apparently quite happily with his mate visiting regularly

Blog Entries
    Do you have a wild bird centre in your area? There is one in Ottawa that takes in injured birds, heals them and then releases them. They also function as an information centre and people can call and ask what to do.

My first instinct is to leave him be. Hopefully he has learned to stay away from the window well.

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt 1horse2many's Avatar
    If you can wrangle the little guy, take him to the Toronto Wildlife Center.
    They are amazing. Even if you can ask them what to do, maybe you can network a drive down for him?

I guess I should have wrangled him because he didn't make it. Something got him. I found remnants. His mate has a new mate however and they are nesting close because I see them everyday.
    The nest near the house belongs to a pair of cardinals. That will be the next tragedy, when the raccoons get the babies........
    As much as it's nice to have the birds close, I think it's time to get a cat and a dog again.........
    i still haven't gotten over losing Mystique though, she was so special......

Blog Entries
    Poor guy.

We have foxes around the barn and one of them failed to make it across the road earlier this week. Sad.

And then there is the feral Tom moving in, spraying my stuff, and putting holes in one of the barn cats. HIM I'd quite happily strangle. Or at least move far away.

We had a pair of barn swallows build a nest in one of the stalls (they have Dutch doors to the outside and the top half is never closed) last year but weren't successful in hatching their eggs. They built a new nest in the same stall on the other side of the joist this spring, then decided not to use it. I think the horses in and out during the day made it too busy for them. They may have a nest in the new tractor shed as I still see them around.

But the interesting thing is the pair of Phoebes who are looking at moving into this year's barn swallow nest! They are pretty shy, but I left Brat in there today while we were waiting for the vet (vaccine boosters) and they both came in and out a couple of times that I saw. I have no idea where Phoebes usually nest. I'll have to Google it.

The Chipping Sparrows are back too, and likely building their nest in the cedar by the ring again. They were successful last year. I saw an adult feeding a fledgling.

1horse, you are going to be jealous again. The male Northern Harrier was flying around the hayfields this morning. He hovered over one patch for a bit before moving on. They must have nested nearby again as I see the female often.

Oh, lucky 4x! Phoebe usually aren't too bold, but they do nest in man-made structures and their nests sort of resemble a mix of barn swallow and robin style. They are so sweet!

You have to get some pics of the Harrier! I would love to snag a pic of a ghost.

At our new house we have Song Sparrows nesting in the backyard and they are so sneaky about going into the nest, it's funny!

We must have 12-14 (maybe more) pairs of barn swallows, in and out all day but I have noticed that several are staying in the nest now so I assume eggs have be laid. Can't wait to see the wee heads and big mouths sticking up from the nests.

Blog Entries
    Phoebes have babies!!! I didn't see them, but the tiny peeping was unmistakable as mom or dad perched on the edge of the nest and fed them yesterday!

I sneaked a pic of one parent sitting on the nest. I will post it later.

Our barn swallows have nested everywhere this year! We even have some in the loft! There are also a few in the barn, a few in the tractor shed etc. I hope they are successful. There are also some Northern Rough-winged Swallows handing around, but I don't know where they nest.
    I got my lifer Black-billed Cuckoo out behind the arena the other day. All the while we were watching him/her, my fiance's horse (oh ya, forgot to tell you guys I am a fiance now!) , chewed the entire side off of Chevy's browband! So now Chevy needs a new anatomical bridle (obviously!).

I love my new house so much. I just want to be in here cleaning, organizing, nagging my fiance to not make a mess (the struggle!). It's so nice to have your own house!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, 1horse!

1horse! How very exciting! Have you set the date?

Congrats to you 1horse.

Thanks ladies! We haven't set a date yet, and we aren't exactly in a big hurry I suppose!

Congrats 1horse!
    Yeah our barn is full of bird crap. So many swallows flying thru. Saw one with nesting material when the ferrier was by last week but I haven't been able to find a nest.
    Baby cardinals hatched today. I keep telling my daughter that their odds aren't great..... I hope they survive.
    I really have to get another dog.

We have several nests now with baby barn swallows. They are still too young and no heads are popping up over the nest but numerous broken shells have been discarded to the floor.

Blog Entries