Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Off Topic Thread

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt 1horse2many's Avatar

NEW Off Topic Thread

Since the old one was super slow, I thought we could make a new "Off-Topic Thread".

Starting with tonight!
    I decided to ride Chevy (who I haven't ridden in a month). When I went to catch him from the field he was covered in mud and had his head 10 feet in the air, looking rather frisky. And for SOME reason I thought to myself "I think I will ride today".

Anyways, long story short, he was behaving very well at the w/t, no acting up or spooking and I thought "I'll just go for a small canter both ways". Stupid, stupid Dawn. I asked for a canter, and he rounded his back and offered to buck, so I offered to whip him on the a$$ with my rein end. He bucked again, I whipped him on the a$$ AND kicked him. He then turned full bronco, and I had to continue whipping and kicking to tell him hell no, this isn't going to work. But it DID work! And with my saddle still loose from warm up, (was I even thinking?) he threw me flying right over his left shoulder and I hit the dirt, and got dragged a few feet before I stood back up. My hands were bleeding and I was absolutely astonished that he'd thrown me! I jumped back on immediately and gave him a good CTJ moment in both directions, until he thought bucking was a very, very bad idea. All ended well and we had a good few canters.

But now, sitting at home, my bones are aching, my hands are bleeding and there's dirt in almost every nook and cranny of my face. That stinky little bugger thought he could out-do me! Not a chance in this world, Mr.Chevy. I will always win! Although, by the end of it, he wasn't even warm and I was burning hot and aching! I'm just hoping his unfit butt is going to be as sore as mine is tomorrow!

Have you fallen off lately?

Seduced By The Power Christmas_Carol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1horse2many View Post
    he rounded his back and offered to buck, so I offered to whip him on the a$$ with my rein end
    I'm sorry, but I LOVE the way you phrased that!!
    I'm not laughing at you eating some dirt, nor feeling a bit (lot!) ouchy, just your phrasing! SO totally ME!
    ďAbstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.ĒA wise person hears both sides of any story before deciding on truth. your life is not something thatís happening to you. You have created a path for whatever reason ó just be with it. Whatever happens you, itís really all about how you handle it. **Pocket Trainer!** **RELIEF!! at last! FIXmestick!!

Hahahaha oh dear! I shouldn't laugh but that was funny! Hope you're not too sore tomorrow!

I haven't fallen off lately - but that comes with not riding much either. I've really just gone on hacks in the last little while. It's been great just enjoying horses and having fun without meeting goals and such. Took a OTTB for a nice gallop too!! Probably my favourite moment in the saddle this year.

I laugh when I think of the hilarity of my horse. He is forever young, I swear. Little turd! Now I have to drag my wounded butt to the barn tomorrow and ask him to canter and see what happens. I am going to record the event if anything happens! I will post it here if there is any excitement.

fingers crossed he learned from today!

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. -Thoreau

Blog Entries
    I didn't come off, but Rory did do his Calgary stampede impression last week. Right off the block he swung around and started bucking just like the broncs do when the gate opens. I had thought something was going to happen so I had the reins shorter than usual and managed to keep his head up (and then had to let his head go down a bit when he considered rearing). At no time did I think I was coming off, but I was beginning to wonder if he was going to stop long enough to let me dismount and fix the problem. He hasn't had such a dramatic reaction to saddle placement since I was longeing him to find a usable saddle and pad combination last winter. The last time he actually bucked when I got on was the day he bucked me off - he usually humps and scoots.
    Chestnuts now has a Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/CustomChestnuts

The little shite got off easy tonight, I am hurting so much in my neck that I decided not to chance it! Figures today would be the day one of my applicants decided to change lanes (sharply) with a car beside us! I had to use all of my reflexes to quickly grab the wheel and steer us to safety! Chevy will have to wait until tomorrow (or Thursday) for his "test drive".

1h2m what do you do? are you a drive test administrator?

Sounds like you had a rough day!

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by LML View Post
    1h2m what do you do? are you a drive test administrator?

Sounds like you had a rough day!
    If THATs the case..Sounds like 1h2m has way too large a share of courage, and a correspondingly small share of good sense!
    ďAbstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.ĒA wise person hears both sides of any story before deciding on truth. your life is not something thatís happening to you. You have created a path for whatever reason ó just be with it. Whatever happens you, itís really all about how you handle it. **Pocket Trainer!** **RELIEF!! at last! FIXmestick!!

You're killin' me, CC! Yes, LML you have it right. I actually love the job, it's always something different and every now and again it's very exciting (or dangerous, depending on how you look at it).

As long as I'm the only one who is! Being "virtually killed" is MUCH better (I have to assume) than being REALLY killed by an unskilled driver!

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt Reece's Pieces's Avatar
    Wow 1h2m, props to you and your nerves of steel for tackling prospective drivers. Maybe that's why you feel so comfortable driving Chevy, only one horse power to worry about!

Usually my only worry is that they'll go too slow and impede traffic haha Observations are a big deal, too.. they look, but do they really SEE? Every driver is different, and it's very interesting observing how each person turns, parks, changes lanes etc. But it is certainly only for the calm-spirited, you can't get all excitable when they do something unforgivable, just fix the situation and carry on!

I know *I* sure could NEVER do it!!
    it's been... years!! since I had to give up driving, and yes, although well below age, had already taught my monster how to drive - personally. I know she's a good and safe driver, very capable even. But I still find myself clenching and hitting phantom brakes, clutches and gearshifts (when my eyes aren't firmly clenched shut) when she drives me anywhere! She's well versed in my two best friends: the "Holy F..." handle and "OH $hit!!" stick!

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt
    I was one of those slow drivers I admit! I was very, VERY nervous and VERY not confident. I also was not a 'natural' at driving. You're so right about looking vs observing too 1h2m.

My mother and I were not a good match for driving. One, she is a much more aggressive and confident driver, which is great from the point of view of exposing me to that, but not so great in that she didn't really understand why it was taking me so long and got frustrated. She also used to sometimes yell "GO" in a danger-voice at say a yellow light for left turn, so I'd GO and the car would lean and she'd freak out at me for taking the turn so fast. If I've told her once I've told her a hundred times, if you don't want me to floor it aka we are about to be killed by someone coming up behind us or something, DON'T DO THAT.

I did much better with my Dad, and best with my best friend.

My mom is also a control freak when driving, and both my parents are bad back seat drivers, so even now I will avoid driving them if I can help it, especially my mom. :p

I agree, your phrasing on the bucking episode was priceless 1h2m! It isn't really off topic though (poke with stick).

I have not fallen recently, on account of not riding (yet) out here. Trying to find a place, really frustrated as 3 lesson barns that I know of, two have told me outright they only do beginner adults in one case, or only ridden to 1st level dressage in the other case. The third does lessons, keeps saying they'll get back to me, but then either don't or they get back to me with only half the info, so I have to chase them down again. Eg "we're working out the schedule, these are our hours, if interested, contact us". "Hi ___, I am very interested, here are the times I can do out of the times you offered. What works for you?" 3 weeks go by "How does (time completely outside the times I said I was available) work?" "I'm sorry, I am not available then. The times I work are x, so anything outside of that would work" (normally I would list the times I AM available, rather than the more convoluted NOT available, but apparently that didn't work the first time. :p 3 days go by (best so far) "We'll look at the schedule and get back to you".

Grumble.

On the plus side a friend was part-boarding an eventer that does dressage with his owner, and she left for school, so while I part-board was more than I was going to commit to to start, it may end up being the best option. :p

On more off topic stuff, I do pottery in my spare time, and I threw some larger (for me, still only 2lbs of clay :p) bowls this weekend that while not perfect weren't bad and I was quite happy. Went in last night to trim them (final touches before firing, remove little bobbles like trying to fix being slightly off center or thicker at the bottom than the top) and it took me 2 hours to trim 2 pots. :p I was a lot less happy with them last night :p, but at least I got trimming practice!

I find that's often the case, take the mom out of the equation and the driver is immediately calmer. I never raise my voice or act afraid because people pick up on that and it makes them more scared.

I've always wanted to try pottery, it looks messy and fun! I want to start yoga too, after this fall which has made me very stiff! I'm walking around slow motion today!

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt Reece's Pieces's Avatar
    Pottery sounds very appealing but I think I would be so disappointed when Patrick Swayze didn't appear behind me while sitting at the pottery wheel that it would be a let down

I tried yoga, really wanted to like it but OMG, ssoo slow! A lot of slow movements and personal inflection. I have no problem with personal inflection but prefer to do it while galloping at breakneck speeds The instructor approached me after 3 sessions and suggested that it wasn't my thing. Apparently a big part of yoga is stillness, I don't do still

1h2m - give both a try and let me know how you like them!

Chevy didn't need much reinforcing today. He gave me a leery look when we got into the ring, so I think he knew he'd better behave. A few laps on the longe with my western saddle (and the stirrups banging his sides), a few bucks and a growl from me and I hopped on. I walked a bit, trotted a bit and cantered both ways without so much as a bum-hop. We will see how he progresses He just hates the indoor arena so much, he turns into a demon in there. He is such a star on trail and in the outdoor ring, it amazes me.

RP, I am hoping to sign up for yoga as soon as I find a groupon I like! It needs to be at a time/day that doesn't conflict with my Chevy time!

Reece's Pieces you should try hot yoga. I am not a fan of "normal" yoga, but I really enjoy hot yoga. I normally go home feeling like I got a good work out, last week I actually had to hold the stair rail to pull myself up to bed my legs were so jelly. I guess finding a studio is a challenge. There is one in Stittsville if you ever go that way.
    I do think you have to get the right instructor, as with anything I guess.

Blog Entries
    Imagine my surprise when I discovered this passenger after a hack with Brat last week!

Yikes! thats certainly why I wear boots!!

4X, I honestly sat here with my jaw agape for about 30 seconds! THAT could have done some serious damage!!!! Have you considered buying a lottery ticket tonight? (then sharing of course )

Oh my gosh!! Close call with that offender! Is that blood on the end? Did he get poked?

A Loud Rider Makes A Deaf Horse

Blog Entries
    Not a scratch on him. The ruddy colour is just the stick, no blood. When I was putting the boots on before the ride I'd been thinking it was time to chuck them out as the other boot has two almost all the way through holes, and wondered if it was worth keeping the one without holes in case I could find the same boots again. Apparently I'm not meant to keep one boot.