Thread: Drivers Ministry- expired G2??

Feel The Fear & Do It Anyway 3days3ways's Avatar

Drivers Ministry- expired G2??

So I lost my drivers license in November while out one night, asked them to mail me a replacement.. still hasn't come. I just called today and the lady said my G2 is expired since Jan 26 and you have to start all over begginning with your written G1! :angry:

I looked on website, they are suppose to mail you out a letter 6 months before it expires but of course I never received that either!

My address is all up to date so I don't see the problem here? Had I gotten the replacement card I would know the expiry date or had I gotten the letter I would have booked the test ASAP!

Do I really have to start all over? Pay all the fees and wait the 12 months inbetween G1 to G2?? Has this happened to anyone else or am I the only dummy this has happened to! :cry:

URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I need my license to get to work! :(

Restricted Member

My G licence expired on my b-day back in 2009.

I moved 2 days later...and called to change my address, and they said, renew your licence, then we'll send you a new one. I asked why I didn't get a letter..they said thye send those out as a courtesy, and the onus is on the DRL holder to double-check the expiry.

I had a G2 that expired quite some years ago, and as I had no vehicle, nor would I be using one, I post-poned going and renewing it...and post-poned, and post-poned...anyways, by the time I finally got around to dealingwith it, I was told that if I had called in sooner, they would have saved me the hassle of doing everything from the G1 and forward. However, I had to re-do the graduated licencing program.

Now I have my G licence, and have for sometime...I have up to 3 years to renew it and not incur any "penalty" of re-doing everything.

Did you mention you lost yours and was waiting on a new one... and you still haven't received it. See if they even sent one out, what if it's going to a different address?

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt

I can't answer as to whether you have to redo it or not but my understanding was you didn't need to wait-you could do one test right after the other if you wanted but do have to pay all fees etc. I could be wrong though.

Restricted Member

I can't answer as to whether you have to redo it or not but my understanding was you didn't need to wait-you could do one test right after the other if you wanted but do have to pay all fees etc. I could be wrong though.
    No, you have to wait. The only thing that makes the 1 yr wait period quicker is to take a ministry approved drivers course. And it only reduces the wait to 8 mths.

Well I would fight it a bit but it's the government, you won't win and if you do it'll probably take a lot of time and money. You didn't have your license so you couldn't check the expiry and you didn't get a letter from them...

The situation certainly is unfair but that's life. Have you tried calling back and trying again for them to change things? Maybe you can book your G test over the phone and if you fail you go back to the beginning? I guess let this be a lesson to never leave things to the last minute? You had 5 years to get a G didn't you?

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt ngarth's Avatar

Unfortunately you do have to start all over again. My SO is going through the same thing with his M (motorcycle) license. His family's house burnt down 2 winters ago and lost all of his licensing documents except for his actual license. They were supposed to send out a notification for when he could go for his M license from M2 but he never recieved it. Intead he got a new license in the mail this past January and noticed his M was missing on it. So when we went to see why it was missing they said it had expired in August (thats right in the summer and he just got his new license now :mad: ). They said there was nothing he could do but do all the tests again. The only silver lining was that he didn't have the wait period inbetween classes. So maybe you don't either 3ways

My blog about gardening, cooking and baking! http://canningbecauseican.blogspot.ca/

No, you have to wait. The only thing that makes the 1 yr wait period quicker is to take a ministry approved drivers course. And it only reduces the wait to 8 mths.
    I took the course the first time when I got my g2 so i didn't have to wait the year... I can still use this or do I have to do another course?

"Novice (classes G1, G2, M1, M2 and M2 with condition "L") drivers whose licence have been invalid (expired/cancelled/suspended) for up to three years and reapply for a licence during this time do not have to serve the mandatory time period under graduated licensing. However, if the licence has been invalid for more than three years, the driver must serve all the mandatory time periods."

From here [a href=\'http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml\' target=\'_blank\' rel=\'nofollow\']http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml[/a]

My blog about gardening, cooking and baking! http://canningbecauseican.blogspot.ca/

Yay 3days you don't have to wait, sucks you have to start again, but it'll be easier.

:happy: You don't have to wait! Time to book for your G1 and G2 ASAP :)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

damn it but I still have to pay the fees&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<
    & i guess bf not gunna let me take car to barn anymore.. unless hes driving&#33; .. i should start being nice to him eh

Only downside is that you can&#39;t book your G2 without your G1 and by the time you can book your G2 you might have to wait for an opening anyways, but you&#39;ll probably get it faster than if you did have the mandetory time periods

Im going to write my G1 test tmrw after work (its open til 5) ... then ill book my G2&#33;

(((What a time for the bf to play by the rules lol... I remember in highschool I didn&#39;t even have a license yet and he would let me take his car when I didn&#39;t wanna go to school to go do whatever... shhhh :oops: ... i don&#39;t blame him tho, its not worth the risk to getting caught now&#33; :innocent: ))))

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt Twisted Humour's Avatar

As for your driver&#39;s training course, 3days, if it&#39;s a registered course it will be on your abstract and so you shouldn&#39;t have to take another driver training course .

That does suck about having to redo everything . My boyfriend is actually going to have to go through it, because he&#39;s an idiot and left his wallet in the hotel on our way to Ontario from Alberta, and he was told it expired when he called .

And I have to check with the Ministry as well to make sure I&#39;m not suspended . I aquired quite a few parking tickets while in Alberta (I got picked on because I had Ontario plates, I swear), and since I&#39;m a broke a&#036;&#036; haven&#39;t paid them yet :/ .

But good luck, 3days &#33; Go do it while everything&#39;s still fresh in your mind &#33;
    when i get bucked off, it's not due to my lack of abilities, i just accidentally hit the eject button .

All That & A Bag of Chips ariel's Avatar

Ive been in the situation.
    You don&#39;t need to wait between G1 and G2 if you&#39;ve had a G2 already. You can book it the day you go in and pass the G1 test.

and writing the G1 test for the second time is hilarious... everyone in the little room, deliberating the answers... I went in "check check check check ..." 2 minutes and I was done and I swear everyone was staring at me for finishing so quick.

Restricted Member

and writing the G1 test for the second time is hilarious... everyone in the little room, deliberating the answers... I went in "check check check check ..." 2 minutes and I was done and I swear everyone was staring at me for finishing so quick.
    Ha ha&#33; The same thing happened to me when I had to redo the G1 test. Too funny&#33;

Just went through this last montGh, my G2 expired before I had a chance to get my . Re-took the written G1 in about three minutes, scheduled a G2 test, whizzed through that, scheduled my G test.
    You are the result of over four billion years of evolutionary success. F--king act like it!

Feel The Fear & Do It Anyway

They are very stingy about this and I think you will have to start over again <_< Still, get after them and ask if there is anything that can be done. You may be surprised.

Like Noelle said, you will probably whiz through your G1 and G2 since it sounds like you have the experience.
    Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely. - Buddha

Premium Members

another tip if you can&#39;t get a road test booked in the "near" future (like week - 2 week limit) GO TO A SMALL TOWN&#33; it&#39;s SO worth the drive..

apparently an awesome town to go to is Clinton, ON. NO wait time and the "highway" test portion is on an 80km/hr 2 lane highway.

It&#39;d be about a 2 hour drive each way but it&#39;d be a GREAT daytrip for you and your boyfriend :)

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt OcalaFarms's Avatar

I can&#39;t answer as to whether you have to redo it or not but my understanding was you didn&#39;t need to wait-you could do one test right after the other if you wanted but do have to pay all fees etc. I could be wrong though.
    Actually, I let mine expire, and had to do the G1 test, then I booked my G2 test same day. No need to wait, but you do need to pay all fees again. :)