Thread: Bale mover for a quad/atv

All That & A Bag of Chips

Bale mover for a quad/atv

Well I've been looking around at this sort of thing lately trying to plan out for this coming winter (yes I'm planning with when it's over 30 degrees outside).

Our tractor isn't really big enough for moving rounds.. also it normally has a snow blower hooked to the back of it and is at my dads house, so that doesn't make it terribly handy as we like to move things as little as possible in the winter.

Now I can find online bale movers that hitch behind an atv. Makes sense as most atv's have a tow capacity of around 1000lbs and the rounds we get in are in the 500-600lbs range so leaves lots of tow capacity for a little trailer.

One thing though... can't really find such athing easily anyways... in North America. Lots for the UK but not so much here... so just figured I'd ask if anybody has seen such a thing in use here?

If I can't find one easily enough I'll just build the thing in the fall. Been about 8 years since I had to weld anything though so it may be easier to find such a thing pre-built.

Anybody have one/know where I might find such a thing or even seen one?
    The other half of:

Feel The Fear & Do It Anyway

it's out west but at least it's in Canada!!

[a href=\'http://www.balebuster.com/\' target=\'_blank\' rel=\'nofollow\']http://www.balebuster.com/[/a]
    Authorize yourself to be great today. ~Juliet Doherty

We don't have anything fancy to move round bales. Although, we will be buying a spear for our small farm tractor this fall.
    What we usually do is load two rounds bales and drive home in our 4 x 4 truck. We drive them into the paddock and roll them off. When it got wet in the spring hubby and his friend rolled them off at the gate and the kept the momentum going and voila placed near the hay huts.

Ah well it's in the winter that I want something like this for... spring isn't as bad as it just stays in the paddock closest to the gate where we have the ground raised up so it doesn't flood/pool.

In the winter we try to get them a bit more into the middle of the field so the horses wander back and forth between the barn and the bale.

not that fun pushing round bales a few hundred feet.

Thanks Vantage, that was the one I had seen before made in Canada but haven't been able to find!!
    They want something like $1600 for it though... so I'll probably just buy a bale spear and build one myself.

Just a bit hard on the self pushing round bales every which where so if I could move them another way, I think I'd rather do that.
    The other half of:

Feel The Fear & Do It Anyway

yes they're def expensive....I wonder if an ATV could haul a large stone boat on the snow with a bale on top of it? If it could that would be the easiest solution (roll bale unto large sheet of metal/plastic/wood/whatever, haul to desired location, roll off)
    Authorize yourself to be great today. ~Juliet Doherty

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt OcalaFarms's Avatar

Not very helpful, but I found these to be the best bale movers (at least so I dont have to).

:lol: :lol: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Well thankfully when we do roll them in spring when it is soft it is only a few feet and it is a bit of a slope at the gate so they get momentum. Not really much muscle power involved.

BTW it is just so hard to talk about round bales/snow etc when is it 90 degrees in the shade...LOL! :frantic:

BTW it is just so hard to talk about round bales/snow etc when is it 90 degrees in the shade...LOL! :frantic:
    Yeah but I knew when it was -20 outside what I wanted to be doing when it was 30... and vice versa :P

That way I don't get caught scrambling around trying to figure out what to do at the last minute :P

Ah we're just going to buy some square tubing, build the frame put a bale spear on it and use the winch already on the 4 wheeler to pull it over.
    Found a couple more designs just like this after Vantage posted the link :P Solves my round bale moving problem until such time as we buy a larger tractor... which is many years away.
    The other half of:

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt

Before I had my tractor I use to put them on my truck and drive them out to the field. Give a big ole heave HO and roll em off. WARNING-> take the tail gate off first. The original tail gate for my truck was fine with the round bales. I busted it doing other stuff and got a second one which was NO WHERE near the quality of the first. I rolled a round bale off it and it folded like butter :( Now my truck has no tailgate.

Also sometimes when the bale gets a flat spot, they are tough to roll off with one person. So I would drive backwards fast and hit the breaks... LOL... Do it with no horses in the field though.

Good luck!

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here... if you are going to pull it with something as light as an ATV ,I expect it would be a benefit to keep the diameter of the tires to the max and the width of them to a minimumum to make it easier to pull in poor conditions. Maybe even make the wheels interchangeable with runners for the winter.

DOes it seem ironic to anyone else that here we have humans struggling to move roundbales when there is all this horsepower on a lot of these farms? :P

:drinking:

Yeah, we should buy a big sleigh to put the RB one and then get the horses to take it to the field.

I also think that an ATV might have trouble pulling a round bale on a trailer in the snow expecially if there is any kind of upwards slope.

Been There, Done That, Got the Tshirt p2c3d2's Avatar

DOes it seem ironic to anyone else that here we have humans struggling to move roundbales when there is all this horsepower on a lot of these farms?
    We were out driving in the Feversham area yesterday, and I have to admit, looking at all those Mennonite farms, that was a question that occured to me. How do they get their hay out, do they use their horses? Hell, how do they get their hay in? We just spent three sweltering weeks using tractors and I swear I saw some farms with as many bales as we have. Maybe I should move to drafts and get harness. Hmmm. That's a thought, then maybe he'll warm to the "hayburners".
    p2c3d2
    I go about looking at horses and cattle. They eat grass, make love, work when they have to, bear their young. I am sick with envy of them. Sherwood Anderson

Actually on further review of this idea.. thought I might just sell the ATV and buy a nice used Kubota L series that both my dad and I have had my eye on for a while and then not have to worry about trailers and problems etc.

But yeah it is ironic...

We've got horses and sled dogs at our place... both of which would have an easy time or at least be able to assist in moving a round bale... yet every time either SR or myself just pushed them out where they needed to be...

The other half of:

Well I have two cremello TB colts who are going to be trained to drive. So they will know how to pull a buggy or sleigh. Maybe I should hire them out to move peoples hay so they can earn their keep here :thumbsup: